How to Get an Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC)


What is an Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC)?

An OEC is a requirement under POEA Rules and Regulations to help ensure that Filipino overseas workers (OFWs) are properly documented and protected.

It serves as a form of exit pass after visiting the country and before going back to your place of work.

Reasons why you need an OEC?

An OEC exempts Filipino overseas workers from paying travel tax (P1,620) and terminal fee (P550) in the Philippine airport. It also lessens inquiries from immigration.

Process of getting one in the Philippine Embassy in Abu Dhabi (As of August 27, 2012):

1. Bring your passport (with UAE Visa)

2. Enter first room LEFT side of the embassy.

3. Fill up the Member Registration Form

4. Line up for payment.

5. Pay 10 DHS for a receipt of Pag-IBIG Fund membership contribution (mandatory coverage per RA 9679 or the Home Development Mutual Fund Law which took effect on 27 August 2009)

6. Pay 10 DHS for the OEC. They will ask for date of departure and arrival.

7. Wait for you name to be called. Your strip of certificate will be finished depending on the busyness of the day. I got mine after 15 minutes.

The Embassy is open Thursdays 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Contact info for OEC/ Labor Matters: 056-659-4977 / 02 658 2889


In NAIA Terminal don’t forget to have your OEC validated before entering the Passengers Only Entrance. Go inside the OFW LOUNGE, located at the right side of the main departure entrance. Once your OEC is stamped, you don’t have to pay those airport taxes!

Hava happy trip!

About these ads