The Covid-19 pandemic has disrupted businesses and service providers all around the world. The tourism industry is in a unique situation because it is both a catalyst for the spread of the virus and a victim of the rise in infected cases. Indeed, it will be the last industry to recover.
My sitting-in with the Nueva Vizcaya Tourism Council meeting weeks ago made me realize that this time is a good opportunity to reset and embrace the new normal.
Tourism’s loss is the environment’s gain. While panic is increasing, nature is healing. By the time vaccines would be discovered, nature would have somehow rebooted. Since the environment is the base product of tourism, especially in the Philippines, then destinations would become more attractive.
While we wait for the world to slowly go back to normal, here are things that you can do in the comfort of your homes:
3 WAYS FOR BUSINESSES TO SURVIVE THIS PANDEMIC
1. ISOLATE YOUR PANIC, REBRAND YOURSELF
Accept the feelings of stress, fear and worry. Denial and pretensions will only make the process longer. Step out of the uncertainties by focusing on things you can control.
Use the extra time you have now to reinvent yourself and your business. Clean up your dirty shelves and repackage your services. Ask yourself:
- What are the changes in the communities around me?
- What are my strengths that can fill a need during this crisis?
- What can I provide that others cannot?
2. QUARANTINE OLD METHODS, REVEAL YOUR CREATIVITY
Say goodbye to old ways and be prepared for a new world where people are more concerned for safety, health, wellness and convenient experiences.
Think outside of the box. Look around the local market for inspiration on how to stimulate demands. Ask yourself:
- How can I meet these needs in a fun and creative way?
- How can I make things easier for others?
- How can I satisfy my customers and have them come back willingly for more?
3. LOCKDOWN YOUR INNER DINOSAUR AND RELEASE YOUR AVATAR
The Jurassic period is long gone. The digital era is here and is changing lives one click at a time. Fight the feeling that you’re too old for technology. Learning will take double your time and effort, but it will be worth it. For the younger ones, just because you know how to work on phones and computers doesn’t mean you have the wisdom of age.
Life experiences and technical skills are the perfect combination to restart a business with an impact. Follow the trend, go digital! Explore e-learnings, online systems, contactless payments, virtual tours, digital marketing, branding and web apps. Ask yourself:
- How do I create an amazing brand that people will remember?
- How do I widen my network and gain more followers?
- How do I invest and maximize my online presence?
In all these efforts to improve, NEVER sacrifice your morals by scamming and cheating others for the sake of survival. Be a business with a conscience.
The tourism industry has always proven to be resilient in times of crisis. Rebrand yourself, reveal your creativity and release your avatars!